Wednesday, June 26, 2013

reflections of respect

I remember that 11th day of February so clearly... as if it were yesterday.
I was hanging out the window of my humble little clothing factory watching history unfold ... it was finally happening...
Nelson Mandela was free and was making his way to the city centre to address the nation.
And tonight that nation...together with millions around the world ... wait with baited breath and heavy heart to hear if he will have survived the night. He is 94; a stellar age for any individual but the passing of this particular one just seems so sad.
My eldest niece was a mere one year old when he walked to freedom. She is now a photo journalist and a month ago was beyond excited about the fact that she had been asked to shoot and write an article for her magazine in preparation for this very moment...the moment we lose the man that helped shape the history of Africa.
I remember thinking on that hot February day how our lives and more importantly how the lives of the future generations...my darling niece's generation were forever changed.

Hambe Gashle Tata

No comments:

Post a Comment